exercises in compound storytelling

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Coakley Brown

I have mostly ignored this Senate race; I assumed that whatever power kept Ted Kennedy in office for forty-seven years would be sufficient to deliver this seat to whoever the Democrats decided to run. Silly me.

This morning I tuned in to CNN, which took a short break from its round-the-clock Haiti earthquake coverage to say
Go figure.

538 is all over this; evidently Nate Silver really really wants to see the Democrats keep their 60-seat supermajority in the Senate, and hopes that by saying Coakley will lose that he'll rally enough Democrats to the polls to cause her to win. I usually like Silver/538, and really appreciated his coverage of polling results during the 2008 Presidential campaign. Unfortunately I wonder if he's out of his depth here, since there just doesn't seem to be a lot of good polling data regarding the Massachusetts Senate race. Just anger. And baseball.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: