exercises in compound storytelling

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

eHarmony, etc.

eHarmony.Image via WikipediaI never used eHarmony, even in its heyday, but I did read (one of?) Neil Clark Warren's books, and most of what he had to say was very left-brain and sociology-thinky: pick items from this list that are important to you, now refine it down to an uncomfortably small number of items. Chances are you're compatible with someone who picks the same items.

I hadn't thought about him or it in years, until eHarmony hit the pages of Slice of Laodicea here and here. (Warning: readers not familiar with the author's writing style may have no idea what she's talking about) And then it showed up on the former Ian Shoales's weblog here.

I for one have to wonder what gay users of eHarmony are expecting; Warren's method isn't fundamentally heterosexual, but it isn't necessarily fool-proof. Can they sue if they don't like the matches they get?

And if so, why didn't I think of that?

Never mind that I wouldn't have met my wife on eHarmony; I think both of us were willing to go to our graves single before admitting we trusted a questionairre and an algorithm more than we trusted our friends. But I would have loved to have had a chance to (as they say) monetize my dissatisfaction.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: